Sunday, March 30, 2014

Welcome to Cambodia!

We made it to Cambodia!

We took off Saturday morning at 7am in a double-decker bus. It was great seeing some of rural Thailand while on our way to the border. The border town was really busy; think the Thailand version of Calexico with a little more craziness. After eating lunch we grabbed our bags and walked across the Thailand/Cambodia border (a little dirt road). We immediately went to customs. While in customs I got yelled at by a grumpy border official after trying to help one of my teammates. Thankfully he was not the one who dealt with my passport otherwise I might of been refused entry. Just kidding, not really, but seriously. After that we had to go and get our visas, take our visas to get stamped, and then we were finally officially in Cambodia and could head to our air con vans! Why am I so excited about Air Con? Cause it's 100 degrees (with some humidity) and intensely sunny here) Feels like a summer day in the valley. I definitely overpacked (as did the rest of my team) which didn't help. We have all decided and made a deal to remind one another about this when it comes time to pack for India!

Despite the heat I love Cambodia. Driving to Battambang we got to see lots of the countryside...some parts look a lot like Haiti, and some parts look like the Valley. Every time it look up at the sky and see the big white clouds it definitely looks like a summer day at home :) Another similarity to home is that they drive on the right side of the road AND use American currency! Driving through the countryside I saw cows for the first time since I have been in Asia, honestly this is the most spacious land I have seen since being on Asia (needless to say, I was starting to feel a little tired of living in a concrete jungle).

Battambang is a nice little town with lots of good cafés I am told. A restaurant down from where I am staying is fantastic! Why? Because they have good beef and it's not expensive! Whaat whaaat!

This week we are a part of the Nations to Nations conference at the  YWAM base. It's going to be a packed week but I am really looking forward to it!

Prayer requests:
-no one gets dehydrated
-while our rooms are pretty nice (hot water and air con) some rooms have had cockroach infestations...please pray that the problem is taken care of and we have no more visits from those critters.
-Team Unity!!!
-health!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you that you will get some good beefy fare! lol! I can't even begin to imagine the "critter" situation(!!!!), but I work with a quite a few people that are from Cambodia and when they come home from visiting that is one of the things they tend to mention....! I cant wait for you to come home so that I can hear of all your adventures in person! What memories you are making! I am so proud of you! Praying for you and your whole team that your time there is fruitful, safe, and full of joy! Love, Aunt Karen
    P.S. Not quite sure how to get the right profile and I am always doing this when Josh is unavailable..LOL! So I have to choose Anonymous which is why I am signing off like its a letter...LOL!

    ReplyDelete