Saturday, April 19, 2014

Khmer New Year & goodbye Cambodia

Back in Bangkok! I can't believe our three weeks in Cambodia are over already!

This last week was really good but super busy. We unfortunately had a lot of people battling a cold...one girl getting a sinus infection. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday is the Khmer new year celebration and due to that a lot of businesses are closed and the YWAM base was closed. So our team, a team from Australia, and the Titus were the only ones on base. Those three days in the morning we had bible teachings from the Titus team. In the afternoon we deep cleaned Cafe Eden (a YWAM ministry) with the Titus Team. It was a mission to get that placed cleaned with only having 3 afternoons to do it and missing some team members due to sickness. We were incredibly blessed with leaders who spoiled us with cold drinks half way through our afternoon. Random side note: Coke only cost .38 cents here. I can usually get a meal for under 3 dollars.

Yesterday was a GREAT day! a part of the New Year celebration is that you get people wet. It wasn't uncommon to get water balloons thrown at you and water guns shooting you as you walked down the street. Thailand also celebrated this new year and I am told that it is 10X worse there; it almost impossible to go anywhere without getting wet. Cambodia really wasn't that bad. Anyway yesterday we went to a girl that we work with in Thailand through the Nak Suu program village. A lot of the kids we work with in Thailand are actually Cambodian and quite a few of them were at the village, which was really cool. When we arrived in the village we received a huge welcome. The grandma came over and gave me the hugest hug and laughed and started to talk to me in Khmer. I didn't understand most of what she said but she was so sweet. I love old people in Asia! Turns out we were also the first foreigners to come to this village as well. After eating lunch the kids took a few of us over to a pond nearby. They pulled us in and next thing I knew I was playing in a pond with the kids and a cow and her baby drinking from the water nearby. After the kids found a crab that was bigger then my hand and chased me with it I decided to get out of the water...no I didn't scream my head off like a little girl. After hanging out a the village for a little bit the water fight began! It was SO much fun! It was us against the kids and everyone against Jerome and Dillon. We had water guns, buckets, hoses and lots of water! After about 5 mins of the war raging we started to slip and slide because of the now muddy floor. Quite a few of us wiped out on the mud a few times. The water fight probably lasted for 45 min to an hour. It was AWESOME!!! Last night Kayla and I went out to dinner which was really good :) Later that night a group of us met with Manuel (who has done lots of studying on this subject) to talk about what the bible says about the Holy Spirit. I love that I have a team that loves to learn :) Manuel encouraged us to make a booklet with different subjects that interest us; and every verse we read that goes under that category we write it down. So for intense: You have the topic Holy Spirit and then every verse I read that talks about the Holy Spirit I would write under that topic.

Getting across was a mission again. I way overpacked and it was miserable getting through the departure line in Cambodia and the arrival line in Thailand! But God is SO good and even though I hit a bad point of nausea because if heat and not enough water. I briefly met a really chatty French guy who had been to Darjeeling before. Pretty cool to ask him questions. As we entered Thailand I kind of felt like I was back home (home away from home). I can't believe how much I missed seeing 7/11 haha(there are 7/11s on nearly every corner in Thailand). We ended up scoring our own bus for the drive to Bangkok! Two seats per person. It's pouring rain was I look out the window at the green Thailand landscape :)

So now:
Farewell Cambodia. Thank you Lord for the adventures and challenges you placed in my path as I explored this country. Getting to sing your praises from the mountain tops, getting caught in a huge rainstorm, being the first foreigners to a village, having a water fight with a bunch of kids, and seeing a glimpse of your heart for this beautiful country. I am so thankful I get to be on this awesome adventure with You :)

As for what the next week looks like:
I will be in Thailand until the 30th. On April 23-27 is Camp Zoe! I will give more details on that later.

Prayer requests:
-prep with Camp Zoe will go well
-That we will shake the cold that still seems to linger (I have had a runny nose and such for over a week now)

No comments:

Post a Comment