Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Darjeeling: Last week

Last week in Darjeeling!
Tuesday: We had morning devos and such as usual and then we headed to afternoon ministry. We were split into groups...Oy and I (with no guide-I felt like a local) walked 20 minutes to an orphanage to help the kids with homework. It was SO much fun! After kids were done with homework I took them outside to play some games. I really enjoyed hanging out with the kids without having the whole team.

Wednesday: Free day! Shaneen and I walked around Darjeeling exploring and going to some markets. That afternoon we met up with Malek (base staff), Gabie, Val and Kayla at the movie theater to watch Spider-Man 2. Really good movie! Indian movie theaters are different...security was intense (no sneaking in food or anything for that matter). They also have a 20 min intermission in the strangest spot to stop a movie. That night we had a big game of human Clue. So cool!

Thursday: We went to a town about 2 1/2 hours away with a pastor and his wife who are starting a church plant there. We went to pray and worship in the building they had just purchased. It was such an awesome privilege to be the first team to come and bless their ministry :) It seemed like such a small thing to our team but when we saw how much it meant to uncle and auntie (that's what we call them) it became so important. Another awesome bonus: we stayed at a hotel with running HOT water!

Friday: We left the town that morning. Once we arrived back in Darjeeling we went to a deaf school that the Salvation Army runs. I helped with the games for the older kids. It was fun although I wish they knew American Sign Language.

Saturday: In the morning we had devos and prep time for a prayer thing we were going to do on Sunday. That afternoon we went to our Saturday ministry. I went to the orphanage that I went to on Tuesday with Miriam, Val, Kayla, and Oy. I was in charge of games. I really love those sweet kids :)

Thankfully towards the end of the week it started to warm up! I am really enjoying my time in Darjeeling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment