Monday, May 5, 2014

India-Darjeeling part 2

We started out the next morning greeted by wonderful weather and ready to track down a jeep to take us to Darjeeling! We found a jeep easily- Praise The Lord!! So we started our journey up the mountain! Those roads are intense but the scenery was breathtaking! 3 hours later we arrived in Darjeeling!!! There are no words to describe how beautiful this area is!

The YWAM base we are staying at has an incredible view of the Himalayan mountain range and when it's clear we can see the third tallest mountain in the world. It is also super cold here! It's their summer but the weather is basically my winter at home. It has rained buckets almost everyday we have been here and the rainy season hasn't even started yet.

Life at the base is interesting...there is no central heating so there really is no escaping the cold. I seriously haven't had a drop of sweat on my body since arriving here-the first time in 4 months. They run out of water easily (we haven't had water for 2 days but will get water tomorrow hopefully), and electricity goes out frequently. Our second day here we lived with candles.

1st day in Darjeeling: cold and rainy. I woke up with a messed up tummy (ate too much spicy food the day before and whacked up sleeping schedule) and fever. I couldn't get warm. It felt like my body was going through shock. I slept through the afternoon while everyone else did ministry.

2nd day: I was 100% and my body was doing much better with the cold. Our team went to two churches. Miriam, Oy, Shaneen, Melinda and I went to a church in a area that most foreigners are not allowed to. The path to the church was incredibly steep...turns out my lungs are not used to walking in an altitude of 7000+ feet. But the walk was worth it. The church was great and the pastor was so nice. The pastor took us to lunch and asked Oy a lot of questions about Thailand. He has a huge heart for Nepali people in different countries. That afternoon we took off on a scavenger hunt adventure around Darjeeling. Shaneen, Oy, and I were a team-almost the same scavenger hunt team that we had when we first arrived in Bangkok! The hunt literally took us ALL over Darjeeling (on foot of course...you rarely drive in this town). It rained for a large majority of the hunt which was an experience for this desert rat.

Today: I am adjusting to the cold really well! We went around Darjeeling via jeep this time with a pastor. He took us to some of the spiritual strongholds to pray. Most of these places were temples and they had INCREDIBLE views of the majestic mountains. The pastor was telling us that even though we may of not totally understand why we are here or other places we are at the center of God's heart. He chose us to be here to pray for these places and bring light. Pretty awesome :)

I am really only skimming the surface of how amazing this place is. I mean I am living in the clouds-literally. The Himalayan mountains is the view outside my window. I get to breathe in crisp mountain air daily. I believe that God had so much fun creating this part of the world :) I can't believe I am so blessed to have my outreach here!

Prayer requests:
-I will do better with breathing. Especially when walking uphill
-health for our team. Many have colds and I fear that I am starting to get one too.
-we will make a mark on this town.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment