Saturday, May 24, 2014

End of India-Kolkata

We arrived in Kolkata safely! Taking the sleeper train is a very different experience and although it was a little awkward it went well. So what is a India style sleeper train? You have a little compartment (off the main walkway no door or curtain separating it) with 6 bunks. 3 on each side. In our compartment was 4 of us girls and 3 men (take not that there was one extra man). Anyway I was freakig out a little about that (compartments are small and we are always warned to be weary of Indian men). One older man was quite the talker. He worked for the government and was telling me all about India and how important it was to talk to the people to learn about the country and culture (I don't think he realized that I wasn't just a tourist and that I had been working with locals for 3 weeks haha). I have to say that's one thing I love about missions is that I get to know the people and not just see the sights. He also had family in America and Canada. He also informed me that the British have the best manners.

Anyway sleeping that night wasn't the best sleep I have ever gotten...heading back to hot weather, train zooming by (makes the loudest noise in the world), abrupt stops , people coming through selling chai, yeah everything in India is just loud.

We arrived at our hotel (we are staying at a YMCA-cue song!). First thing I did was shower! It felt so good to shower without feeling like you are going to have frostbite afterwards! That AND there is a shower head-no more bucket shower!! After that Val, Kayla and I headed to McDonalds to get fries and ice cream. So good! I have missed western food haha.

I hung out I my room that afternoon and then went to a cafe with Kayla. This cafe is AMAZING!! We spent the rest of our afternoon and evening there just journaling and having quiet time.

We are having a wrap up day today. We had Devo and worship this morning and the. I am running around Kolkata with Gabie to exchange money. We leave for the airport at 4pm. Our flight leaves at 8:45pm.

Since Bangkok has been going through a lot of political changes there is a 10 pm curfew throughout the country. There was a possibility that we would have to sleep in the airport but thankfully there is a curfew expectation for those traveling from the airport!

I really can't believe my time in India is over. Malaysia here we come!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment